HammerGirl Project: Week 4 - Tweaks and Critiques

 



We finally did it! We finished it!


Honestly, I've enjoyed this project a LOT, it's been a treat to really try and flex my muscles for design with asset limitations.


This week has been filled with illness and lethargy in the family home so I was thankful that I'd gotten myself ahead last week and that I only had a few tweaks to finalise to complete the work. I removed the remaining Print Strings to clean up the display while playing, this was purely an aesthetic issue but I felt this was around the time it should be implemented.


Once that was sorted I took a moment to reassess the text system as I claimed I would last week. This was an easy enough job to follow but it took a lot of tidying within my blueprints.

I tend not to post my blueprints within this blog as I feel like the overall look and effect of the mechanics is more important than the "how", especially with this project. But I'll provide a quick shot of how I have mine organised below.


Where I can I like to colour coordinate my comment boxes. Throughout my blueprints animation sections are blue, sections for setting up text are gradients of yellow, anything relating to successful quests/positive outcomes of major boolean branches are green and anything based on destructible meshes/collectables are red. This means I can easily access them within each blueprint.


After I had finished this I went over all text to check for spelling errors just to get it to a polished state and moved on to a few additional elements I wanted to feature.

I wanted a clear "end" to the level. Even though this was just a showcase and it didn't seem too necessary, I wanted to have a final point that players could reach for accomplishment. I did this at a chest I had created hidden behind the secret rock wall. I just added a particle effect and a bit of HUD text that displayed after the player had opened it. 



Overall I'm happy with the way the project ended up, I think I definitely honed some new skills as well as being able to highlight some of my stronger ones. I feel like there were elements I could have improved on, wandering around the village during the rock collecting stage felt a little directionless, and I could have added a few more interesting spots within the mine. But nevertheless, I like the end product!

Moving forward I definitely feel I need to work on making my levels have more verticality as well as adding some more direction for the players. The next project will definitely reflect that.



I have also recorded an overview and playthrough of the levels and uploaded it to YouTube for people to review. I'm excited for the feedback to be honest!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Games Proposal: Project 1 - Week 1

Honours Project 1 - Week 3

Honours Project 3 - Week 4