HammerGirl Project: Week 3 - What you got there?

 





This week took quite a hit in terms of this project.

Life stuff got in the way with ill family members and the exhaustion that comes with that, so my progress is behind where I'd like it to be.


That being said, the work that was completed is stuff I'm pleased with!

(top) Mine Layout (bottom) Mine Lighting


I managed to complete the layout within the mine and got all of my lighting finalised in there too. I added a secret door (using some giant rocks) and set up some of the lightable alters as the "key" for unlocking it.

Secret Rock Doorway


 I also added a bit of verticality so as to keep in mind what Josh had mentioned in feedback the week prior. There is a small parkour-style section where the player will have to jump up some rocks on a cliff face to progress to an additional area.

Rock Climbing area

Once I finished the mechanics needed for the mine as well as the visuals within I decided to make a start on the user interface, the printed strings have been frustrating me for a while!

I wanted the hammer and torch to appear in a kind of hot bar once the player had collected them as I wanted them to only be there if they're usable.

HUD Elements for Equipment and Collected Items


HUD Blueprint

I also implemented a similar effect for quest items such as the rocks, only making them visible after the player has spoken to the quest giver. I felt that limiting items from the HUD until they are needed would provide a more interesting experience for the players.

The next week will be spent restructuring the text system I implemented to the more effective one Josh showcased during the session on Thursday. Once this has been sorted, I think I'm done?!


I'll also be doing a breakdown of how I felt the project went and my thoughts on how I handled it overall.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Games Proposal: Project 1 - Week 1

Honours Project 1 - Week 3

Honours Project 3 - Week 4